What are Berkana's Specialty Areas?
Berkana is a Center of Excellence in treating adults with orthopedic and neurological injuries and disorders. Our physical therapists are experts in the use of manual, exercise based, and modality therapies so that our clients are able to achieve the best possible outcome in permanently resolving their pain and returning to the activities they love. For more information about any of our programs or current research projects, contact us at (970) 797-2431 or at email@example.com.
Berkana offers a variety of specialized orthopedic rehabilitation programs that include, but are not limited to:
- Neck and Back Pain: Most patients will experience neck or back pain at some point in their lives and this type of pain can be debilitating. Research shows that physical therapy should be the first course of treatment for patients suffering from neck or back pain because it is the most effective course of treatment and on average can save up to $4200 per episode of care. We focus on not only eliminating the pain but addressing the underlying root cause of the pain so that you are able to return to your usual activities without fear that the pain will return.
- Total Joint Replacement: We provide physical therapy for those individuals having a total hip, knee or shoulder replacement. Our joint program provides the most progressive evidence-based physical therapy in Northern Colorado. Our therapists not only know the research, they conduct the research. This allows us to quickly integrate the most current and effective treatments into clinical practice. In addition to providing the most effective treatment, our therapists work with each patient in customizing their rehabilitation so that patients can return to the activities they love. We also offer post-rehabilitation classes, such as the back to ski and back to golf programs.
- Upper Extremity Pain: This can include a variety of problems such as rotator cuff strain/injury, arthritis, tennis or golfers elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome or other injuries to the tendons or ligaments in the shoulder and arm. As with all of our treatments we focus on not just reducing your pain but addressing the biomechanical problems that are causing your pain.
- Lower Extremity Pain: Hip, knee and ankle/foot pain from arthritis, injury or poor biomechanical alignment can make standing and walking difficult and can have a significant impact on being able to perform your normal daily activities. We use evidence-based, proven treatments in resolving your pain and helping you return to the activities that you love.
- Post-Surgical Treatment: Having the right physical therapy after any orthopedic surgery is critical to achieving the best possible outcomes. At Berkana we apply the most current, evidence-based treatment techniques to maximize your ability to return to your pre-injury/surgical level of function. We will work with your surgeon to ensure that you receive the right care and the best outcome.
- Sports Performance: Whether you are a weekend warrior or an elite athlete, our goal is to not just treat your pain but to help you perform better. Our sports performance program also offers running analysis, orthotic fabrication and bike fit analysis. We also work with several local coaches to enhance your training and performance. Berkana sponsors many local races and events because of our commitment to promoting a healthy lifestyle as well as to support the community at large and the clients we serve.
Berkana offers a variety of specialized neurologic rehabilitation programs, including, but not limited to, treatment for:
- Balance and Gait Problems: The CDC reports that one out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones and that at least 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling. Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injury (TBI). We offer a comprehensive program that is focused on strengthening the specific trunk and lower extremity muscles that are essential for balances as well as employing a variety of balance training activities. Because we work with many patients with neurological problems, we also understand the unique way in which balance may be affected as a result of disease. We are the experts in helping you recover your balance and reduce your risk of falling.
- Dizziness & Vertigo Problems: We treat Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and other problems that lead to dizziness and vertigo. Our treatment includes a thorough examination to determine the cause of your dizziness followed by evidence-based interventions to successfully treat the problem.
- Neuropathy: Peripheral neuropathy (PN) is a result of damage to your peripheral nerves and can occur due to traumatic injuries, metabolic disorders, exposure to toxins, and inherited disorders. Diabetes Mellitus is one of the most common types of peripheral neuropathies. PN often causes weakness as well as pain and numbness in your hands and feet. When the lower legs and feet are effected, many people begin having difficulty with balance. In many cases physical therapy can improve symptoms, especially if caused by a treatable condition, and can play a very important role in reducing fall risk.
- Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders: Our team at Berkana works with patients to address a variety of problems related to PD and other movement disorders so that they can remain active. We are the only clinic in the country that uses an outdoor cycling program as one of our treatments and we work closely with PD experts Monique Giroux, MD and Sierra Ferris, PA-C in providing a comprehensive approach to care.
- Concussion and Traumatic Brain Injury Program: The annual incidence of sports-related concussion is estimated at 300,000. Estimates regarding the likelihood of an athlete in a contact sport experiencing a concussion may be as high as 19% per season. Berkana Rehabilitation offers baseline ImPACT testing as well as a specialized, evidence-based program focused on identifying and treating individuals suffering from a concussion. We also treat those with more severe traumatic brain injuries resulting in significant physical limitations and disabilities. Our clinic is equipped with a state of the art Body Weight Support harness that allows patients to begin safely standing and walking by supporting their weight.
- Spinal Cord Injury: Our program focuses on facilitating recovery through a variety of different exercise and modality based approaches, such as the use of electrical stimulation and our state of the art Body Weight Support harness, which allows patients to begin safely standing and walking by supporting their weight.
- Stroke: Loss of physical function can vary after having a stroke. We work with individuals that are in both the acute and chronic phases to maximize function and mobility.
- Multiple Sclerosis: Exercise can help improve function and restore mobility for those suffering from MS. However, understanding how to safely do this is critical. The experts at Berkana can not only help you regain independence and maximize mobility but will teach you how to exercise safely on your own so that you can remain active.